July 28, 2011

Luncheon with a side of DIY

The heat as of late has made me lethargic. I have spent a good deal of time lazing about and not getting nearly enough (at least in my mind done). While I really do love laid back summer days I am often struck with guilt at the end of the day for not accomplishing everything on my list.  The list while essential to being productive, sometimes detracts from my enjoyment of the simple pleasures and creative projects that I truly relish.  Instead of enjoying as the Italian phrase says "il dolce far niente", the sweetness of doing nothing, I feel the pressure to accomplish something, something big, something grand.  Yesterday was one of those laid back summer afternoons, but instead of weighing all that I had to do, I decided to do what I wanted to do.  My mom and I had made lunch plans and rather than going out we stayed in, had lunch, watched a movie and did a little crafting.  Here is the the results from our afternoon of of relaxin', eatin' and craftin'.  Enjoy!
The Food:

Eggplant, roasted red peppers and mozzarella on whole wheat bread. Perfetto!
Not wine or champagne, but sparkling cider. A perfect refreshment for a  hot day.
Add a side of fresh strawberries and cream. Delizioso!
And of course ice cream for dessert, would have been better if it was gelato, but it was still yum!
The Movie:

I am sure most of you can guess what it is with out me telling you.
How about another hint?  Does this scene look familiar?
Did you guess it was "Roman Holiday"?  Love this movie, it's one of my favorites.

The Craft:
Some jewelry DIY on the operating table, well coffee table.
Tools: Check.
Beads, chains, clasps and jump rings: Check, check check and check.
Skills: um, um... Well I'll just say if we can make jewelry so can you.
Work in progress check out the gorgeous solar quartz bead I picked for this project.
Individual leaves attached to the chain with jump rings, a lot of precision and a little cursing.
The finished piece!
Another finished piece! DIY is a success. 
Thanks for reading, I hope you plan a day of simple pleasures for yourself.  Whether you be crafting or lounging be sure to take some time to enjoy "il dolce far niente"this summer.  All the unique pieces for the jewelry DIY were picked up at Beadworks in Norwalk, CT.  I assure you, even the most uncrafty will be inspired by the awesome selection and the fun to browse shop.  P.S. the staff is very helpful, not sure what you need, just ask. They will make sure you walk out with all you need for your next project.

Best,

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you and your mom had some delicious food and a memorable time together.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a blogs best friend.