July 27, 2011

Outfit Chronicles: Short Story

Sometimes I get stuck in a style rut.  I let myself slip into a fashion comfort zone and avoid taking risks with my clothes.  One example, since high school I have avoided wearing shorts, no matter the temperature, it could be boiling, knee perspiring kind of hot, I would refuse to wear them.  I was convinced that shorts didn't look good on me and that they just highlighted my paste-y stems.  With the recent fashion insurgence of shorts in everything from day wear, formal wear and office wear, they were suddenly everywhere and yes I resisted.  That is until recently, I fell for this purple pair from Old Navy.

Women's Perfect Khaki Shorts, Old Navy, $19.50.

Don't ask me why this particular pair inspired me to take a fashion leap of faith, but they did and I had to have them.  They were on sale so I wasn't investing too much on this risky (at least for me) style move.  Long story short (hehe), I love them!  The color, a perfect plumy shade, flatters my pale skin.  The length is just right, hitting mid-thigh, makes my legs appear longer (a nearly impossible task when you are 5'2").  The cotton fabric is comfortable and easy to care for.  I love these shorts so much that I have worn them at least three times this week.  In honor of my new favorite shorts (words I thought I would never utter) I have put together two looks with just three pieces (button down shirt, tank top and cotton shorts) with an added a dollop of accessories. Enjoy!
Dressy Look:

Button Down; Gap, Shorts; Old Navy, Tank Top; J. Crew, Bag; Michael Michael Kors, Shoes; Clarks
For a high fashion look button up! Necklace from Loft.
A perfect look for an afternoon lunch and chic restaurant.
My favorite bag, by Michael Kors, love that I convert to a cross-body bag with the long strap that came with it.
Catalog pose, now look over your shoulder, perfect.
A pair of strappy heels are a perfect compliment to a dressy shorts look.

Casual Look:

Just unbutton and untuck the shirt, roll up the sleeves...Presto Change-o! A casual shorts look.
Favorite belt, stolen I mean borrowed from my mom's closet.
Floral Pattern close-up.
A great outfit for running errand or just hanging out on a hot summer day.

French Sole ballet flats I love you so much!
See my legs look really long right in my, pseudo-pin up pose.

That's it for this edition of outfit chronicles. What did you think of the one pair of shorts worn two ways?  Do you have a favorite pair of shorts you wear again and again?  Thanks for reading.

Best,

Jennifer



3 comments:

  1. Shorts have always been my enemy as well because of my pasty white skin. Kudos to you for biting the bullet and showing off those gams. I love the plum color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your reluctance on the shorts trend... I have a couple of pairs but prefer to wear them with tights in the spring or fall. And mine aren't even that short! I've been seeing all these girls strutting their c*llulite (is this mean?) in the hottest hot pants and I just can't do it. I'm glad you found a pair that's both sexy and modest, i.e. chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Suns To Moons I know what you mean. I have seen girls wearing shorts so short that they probably should be classified as underwear. Judy G I feel self conscience too, I feel the need to cover up my pale legs, but it has been so hot lately that I broke out the shorts. I think these are a classy length. I really think sometimes it's good to take chances and challenge your pre-conceived fashion notions, but most importantly you should wear what makes you confident and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a blogs best friend.