September 7, 2011

Karen Elson For Nine West Vintage America


If you have been following me for a while you know that I am a sucker for all things vintage and retro looking.  I was intrigued when I heard that model, musician and muse, Karen Elson was partnering with Nine West's Vintage America line to create a limited edition capsule collection.  While Elson has made a living wearing designer duds, her own style is decidedly vintage with a hint of goth. What would this collection look like with Elson holding the design reigns?  Well here is the answer, a little victorian, a hint of rock and roll and a little glam.  The collection consists of shoes, bags and jewelry, evocative of the victorian era;  carpet bags with skeleton key adornments, granny boots in black leather with contrast glittery sparkle sides, gold chains with key and lock charms.  I was hoping that there would be more pieces in the collection, I think the designs could be more varied, but what is there covers the scope of Nine West's usual offerings. The most successful pieces design wise are the MIDNIGHTSUN knee high laceup boot (I already own something similar) and Sorrownwoe crossbody bag.  I personally think that the price is a little high for Nine West's target consumer, with prices ranging from $32 for the jewelry to $269 for the tall lace up boot.  The entire collection is available now.
MIDNIGHTSUN Knee High Boot, $269

SORROWNWOE Crossbody Bag, $69



So what do you think of the line? Do you have a favorite item in the collection? Are you tired of design collaborations between designers or models and mainstream retailers/lines or do you want more?

2 comments:

  1. I think my favorite piece is the crossbody bag. $69 is not a bad price if it's made out of leather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the purse real leather?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a blogs best friend.