November 21, 2011

What I am Thankful For: My Creative Self


This has been a year of change and making some tough decisions. Throughout this year I have rediscovered my passions, taken risks, reached out and made new friends.  The hard part was letting go of doing things the safe way and acknowledging the creativeness of my mind and personality. I said farewell to practical Jennifer and embraced her more impulsive and infinitely more interesting other half. In that vein, this year I am thankful for my imagination and my creativity. Both have sometimes made life more difficult and earmarked me as a little strange, but both I believe will ultimately will be my saving grace. I have striven at times to suppress both in favor of more practical life choices and common sense.

I have run into problems that only my creative side could tackle and find solutions for.  I needed an evening escape from a career that was proving too stressful, so I started my blog.  My imaginative mind allowed me to explore and envision other careers that would be more fulfilling, instead of focusing on what 'was' I was focusing on the what 'could be'.  Through exploring my creative side I discovered new passions, my new fondness for the written word and well crafted sentences.  I rediscovered old passions, music, art and fashion.  And I ultimately made a tough choice that my practical side would not approve of, but my creative side fully had my back.  I am thankful for the duality of my personality (practical and creative) and I want to strive to find balance between the two, without suppressing my creative side again.

What are you giving thanks for this year?

4 comments:

  1. It is an awakening moment when one discovers who they really are and stops striving for whom they think they should be. Congratulations!
    I am the practical person who is always thankful for the simple pleasures in life, like being able to enjoy nature while taking a walk.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, positive, encouraging post. Accepting yourself for who you are only opens the door to a more beautiful life. I'm glad you've found your niche with blogging. It really is a wonderful creative outlet :)

    www.thequirkypoet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. JudyG thank you for reading. It is always hard to let go of the ideal picture of yourself and come to terms with strengths and weaknesses. I am still in the process of discovering, but I believe I am headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Marie, thank you for your kind comment. I am glad this post resonated with you. Blogging has definitely been a creative outlet for me and has given me a clearer vision for future projects.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a blogs best friend.